Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fast-forward, please

I'm not quite home yet.

The plane that would whisk me away from Madrid and magically spit me out in Philadelphia had a little temper tantrum and wouldn't move from the runway for two hours. Reason? Volcanic ash. I had been wishing and praying to be able to stay longer in Spain since I realized how soon I would be leaving. But spending the extra time in a two square foot space, unable to order a creamy café con leche from my favorite little bakery or chat with my Spanish friends under the shade of an orange tree in the river park wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

I missed my next flight because of the delay. Instead of being in my own bed last night and seeing my mom and brother for the first time in months, I was shuttled to a quirky Philly hotel for the night. Greeted with a cheerful aloha, I made my way to my HUGE free room with 2 queen beds and a widescreen TV. Not bad, but I'd still rather be in Madison, MS snuggled up with my squirmy little yorkie.

After waking at 4 am, I'm staring through tired eyes at the gate of my fourth and last flight of this part of the journey. The ache I feel when I think of everything I'm leaving behind in Spain still throbs, so I'll focus instead on the good memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I'm already trying to figure out how to go back, so stay tuned! This blog may not be finished after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment