Believe it or not, this is the first free moment I've had since my last update. My brain is literally buzzing from all the running around I've done today, and these past few days have been such a whirlwind!! My feet are telling me to slow down. I feel like a walking zombie. But I'm continuing to fall in love with Spain, and I'm definitely enjoying my time here.
First off, BARCELONA! What a fascinating yet strangely impersonal place. In comparison to Valencia, it seemed much more cosmopolitan. It was absolutely full of tourists- I think I literally heard snippets of every single language imaginable. Traipsing around the city with two equally American-looking girls, I didn't feel as though we stuck out as much. We joined the sea of tourists and rode the tide to the Sagrada Familia, a modern cathedral designed by the late architect Gaudí. It had been in construction for over 100 years, and will supposedly be finished around 2025. Here are some pictures from the outside:

One of my favorite places we visited in Barcelona was the Parque Güell, also by Gaudí. I especially loved the colorful mosaics everywhere. Gaudí was inspired by images in nature, which gave his architecture an organic, earthy feel while remaining modern. He left his imprint throughout the city, and this park was able to display some of his most whimsical creations. This is a picture of me sitting on the longest park bench in the world, followed by a crowded staircase in the park and two of the crazy Gaudí houses:


Though Barcelona was exciting and new, I really prefer Valencia. I can't exactly explain why, but it just seems to have a more friendly, cozy atmosphere. I still think this past weekend was one of my favorites so far in Spain! The yummy food, good company, and off-the-wall architecture made it fun.
Since returning from Barcelona, I hit the ground sprinting. Not just running, SPRINTING. I've had lots of homework/essays/trip planning to keep me busy, and it's just now slowed down long enough for me to take a deep breath and relax. Busy doesn't even begin to cover my day today. After three long hours of class, I high-tailed it to a doctor's office. I had a problem with my ear, but now it's fixed! I'll never again take for granted the wonderful gift of hearing. Right afterward, I walked briskly back to the apartment to put down my heavy schoolbag and ran out the door again to meet Hector for a walk to the beach. Even though I arrived completely worn out, being so close to the sea was calming. We had a pretty deep conversation about the meaning of life, and I was impressed with my ability to keep up & offer some semi-intelligent thoughts in Spanish. We stopped for a cafe con leche along the shore and I taught him some highly important English words like "swingset," "zipline," and "elbow." He'll practically be a native speaker in no time! Here are some photos from the excursion: rock art, jumping on the pier, and the port at sunset.
I hope you enjoyed the pictures! I'm about to crash since I literally haven't stopped moving for days. Now I can tranquilly ponder my upcoming trip to Milan, and possibly Switzerland, with one of my best friends here. I'm relishing the privilege to say that I'm flying to Italy for the weekend. What an exciting lifestyle.
Buenas noches, amigos y familiares! (Goodnight, friends and family!)
What an exciting report. Each one gets more interesting and you make it sound so real. This is an experience you will cherish forever. Hope you get the package before you go. Have a wonderful trip to Milan. I can't wait to hear all about it. Buenas noches.
ReplyDeleteClaudia, I love your attitude towards everything here... and your pics made me quite excited for Barcelona! But seriously, it's so cool how you are connecting with Hector and making the most of all our opportunities here. Have a great time in Milan... and I hope you get some rest! <3
ReplyDeleteomg, you and Hector are way cuter intercambios than me and my petulant Spaniard. :] Haha, don't get me wrong -- Andres is cool. Probably too cool to take beach-jumping pictures with me.
ReplyDeleteI still think we should get the four of us together!! Maybe this weekend? :]